Ever wonder how to care for your child after he or she has a filling or multiple fillings completed?
Below is a list of what to do and what not to do.
- Your child’s lip, cheek, and tongue will be numb or “asleep” for about 2-3 hours. During this time make sure your child does not bite, scratch, or pick at these numb areas.
- Restrict diet to liquids (milkshake or smoothie) for the first 3 hours, and then eat soft foods for the rest of the day such as soup, yogurt, Carnation Instant Breakfast, eggs, jello etc.
- Normal brushing and flossing should resume tonight.
- Give Tylenol or Motrin in case of any discomfort of the tooth or gums.
- If your child complains of discomfort when chewing after a few days, please come in to the office for adjustments to the height of the filling, which is a short, painless procedure.
Your child should heal normally if you follow these instructions. Please feel free to call our office at (713) 461-1509 if you have any questions.
Smiles for Kids Pediatric Dentistry